Updated: Apr 21, 2020
What is the Zero Waste Philosophy?
Zero Waste is a philosophy that takes a whole system approach to the flow of resources and waste through our society. It emphasizes waste prevention at the beginning of the cycle rather than waste management. Here at Rippl, we're all about reducing our waste!
What is the Goal of Zero Waste?
The goal is to develop a sustainable economy where products are designed with the environment in mind so that when they are no longer needed their components can be dismantled, repaired or recycled and used as a resource for other industries. Reusing the components or breaking down the components preserves our valuable natural resources as they are not being used in the manufacturing process.
According to USZWBC “Zero Waste will eliminate all discharges to land, water or air that are a threat to planetary, human, animal or plant health.”
How to Achieve Zero Waste?
1) Having the mindset that you must reuse before recycling
2) Using only reusable, recyclable, or compostable packaging
3) Refuse plastic bags and bring reusable bags with you while shopping
4) Limit your use of soft plastics (produce bags, bread bags, etc.)
- Use paper bags instead of plastic while buying fish and meat products, bread, or produce
5) Shop at places where items are available in bulk bins, and where you can use glass jars as containers
6) Thrift clothes instead of buying new
7) Eliminate the use of plastic wrap & aluminum foil
- Instead of covering food leftovers with plastic wrap, use a tupperware, or put a plate on top of the container. Reusable beeswax food wraps are also a reusable option!
8) Refuse straws!
- Reusable straws are everywhere these days! Stainless steel and glass straws are great alternatives to single-use plastic straws.
9) Bring your own coffee cup when you go out for a cup of coffee.
- Rippl has your back on this one ;)
10) Compost all of your organic food waste and green waste
What's the End Goal?
The most important part of the zero waste movement is that every effort counts. Instead of a few people doing it perfectly, it is important that many people make at least some sort of effort. By making these relatively easy changes to your life, it’s simple to cut out an enormous percentage of household waste. Your landfill waste every week would now fit in a small container. Everything can be recycled or composted.